October 22, 2019
With winter on the horizon, it is important to remember to close down your air conditioner for the season. Here are 6 simple steps that you can take to ensure your air conditioner is properly shut down for cold temperatures.
1. Turn off cooling mode on your thermostat. On your thermostat turn off cooling. If you have a smart thermostat such as ecoBee or Nest, you can turn off Cooling mode directly from your smartphone.
2. Turn off power to the Air Conditioner-Find the air conditioning circuit near the AC and turn the switch off. You can also turn the breaker off to the AC in your breaker box.
3. Replace the air filter. Air conditioners have filters in them that can become clogged up with pollen, dust, and debris. The filters are to prevent these airborne particles from entering your home when your AC is running. You should change this filter at least every 3 months while you are using your AC. As a good rule of thumb, replacing it at the end of the cooling season will prevent you from needing to do so in the Spring when you turn the unit back on.
4. Wash the outdoor condenser. On a warm fall day, use a garden hose to completely wash away any debris, leaves, and grass from your air conditioner. It is important to remove this debris so it doesn’t work its way into the AC during the winter. Don’t do this when it is below freezing out. Allow it to completely dry before putting the cover on.
5. Inspect the condenser and pipes. Check for cracks, rust, leaks, and other signs of damage. If you see anything suspicious, it is important to have it professionally repaired before winter. Harsh weather can worsen the damages and cause a more costly repair in the Spring.
6. Cover the unit with a properly-fitted cover. If we installed your AC, you would have been given an option to add a custom cover to your purchase. If you do not have a cover, you can still call Always Plumbing & Heating to order one that is custom to your AC unit. If you wish to shop around, be sure to choose an insulated, waterproof piece that completely covers the whole unit. Secure the cover tightly with bungee cords to prevent it from blowing away in harsh winter winds.
Many of these tasks are things homeowners can do themselves to prepare their AC for winter. If you notice any damage on your air conditioner or need to order an AC cover, you can rely on us here at Always Plumbing & Heating. Our team of skilled HVAC professionals is happy to answer any questions you may have about Air Conditioner maintenance and repairs.